Friday, November 30, 2007

One-Task

Multi-tasking seems to be the present society norm. It is like you are not living life to the fullest unless you have at least two things going on at the same time. Most of us have know people who drive while talking on their cell phone. I'm guilty of it too. I'm finding it more difficult to do. Not only am I trying to have a conversation, but I am also driving and dodging others doing the same thing.
I've witnessed people listening to music through an earplug in one ear, a blue tooth device in the other, doing something on their laptop, and talking to someone. It is unreal. Personally, I don't see how they do it. I don't understand it. I don't really agree with it. It is hard for me to carry on a conversation while the other party is glued to other things. If someone doesn't want to pay attention then we don't need to talk. If I began the conversation then I'll be happy to call back. If they phoned and I have a low percentage of their attention, then I'll do the same. I'll return the call later.
Maybe it is "old school" mentality, but I believe in stopping what I'm doing or turning off the music or TV and giving the person my UNDIVIDED attention. Now, what they have to say may not be important to me, but it is important to them.
Granted, there are times that I have attempted to conform and do more than one thing at a time, but for me it doesn't work. It helps when I am work on a single project at a time. For example, I turned the TV off to write this blog post.
I read not too long ago that people are becoming multi-task and are able to have several things happening together. They do hear most of the phone conversation. They do manage to stay in their lane of the road. They also jam to the tunes. They do these and other combinations of tasks simultaneously, but they do not do any ONE well.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against multi-tasking. It apparently works for some. It just doesn't work for me. I'm a one-task man.


No comments: